Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thing 19 - Other Social Networks

I joined the 23thingsters network earlier in our assignments because I was going through several librarians blogs. I left a comment for Mary. I had also joined Library Thing to post a few of my favorite books to suggest to students. I didn't realize at the time I was working on another Thing. I posted a picture on 23 thingsters with my favorite princess and will enjoy adding more books to my list.I also joined Teacher Librarian ning and enjoyed reading the forum on recommended books. It was no surprise that Twilight by Stephenie Meyer was highly recommended. I want to check into the Meg Cabot series, Mediator, to see if it is appropriate for middle school; the girls love her books.
When reading and learning about social networks on Wikipedia, I discovered that I have been a member of a network for years - Classmates.com. Since I plan our high school reunions, I became a member of this network years ago. There are so many others listed on wikipedia - some sending an alarm - those limited to adults. I know that most of these are probably for adults to find friends, but this is part of the internet that I do not trust. There are so many evil predators and they can trick you into thinking they are safe to be your friend.
I will stay connected to Classmates, Library Thing, and Teacher Librarian as these will help me.

No comments: