Friday, July 11, 2008

Thing 23 - Creative Commons

I can't believe I made it to the last "thing" with a few days to spare.
The copyright video on Youtube was difficult to follow. It took me several minutes to figure out what the characters were saying and then I had to piece together their words to make sense. Copyright is such a difficult concept for people to understand. When I explain it to students and teachers that it is all about money and put yourself in the creators' shoes, most seem to get the point. However, they still feel like they are entitled to the work. It doesn't make sense to the average person that to read a book and follow it with the movie version then compare and contrast the two versions could be a violation of copyright.
Creative Commons is a "gray" concept to me. How does one have permission to change the copyright terms from "All Rights Reserved" to "Some Rights Reserved"? I suppose that's where the internet is taking us. The explanation that "we work to offer creators a best-of-both-worlds way to protect their works while encouraging certain uses of them — to declare 'some rights reserved'” I think would be difficult to monitor, but I hope that it will become a common practice. I discovered that The Learning 2.0 - 23 Things program is based on the Learning 2.0 program that was designed by Helene Blowers, and adapted by the California School Library Association and others. Content and style for Learning 2.0 - 23 Things has been borrowed and duplicated with permission, under a Creative Commons License.
Helene's program was loosely based upon Stephen Abram's article, 43 Things I (or You) might want to do this year (Information Outlook - Feb 2006.

No comments: