Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Thing 12 - Google Toys - oops Tools

First, I seem to have lost the "add link" icon on my comment post. I tried to make several links in my #11 post, but it just wasn't there. Where did it go? Ok, this is weird. I am having trouble with Safari randomly closing all open windows. I switched to my other laptop and my add link tool is here. Where is it on my other laptop and why does Safari keep closing?

I have explored Google Calendar and entered a few events. This would be very helpful to combine my home and school calendar into one. I am going to try to add it as a page element. I did not like the "quick add" element because it wasn't quick. I probably did something wrong though. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as a page element on my blog. This could be very useful for setting up the school & library calendar.
Google Notebook would be VERY helpful for teachers working on advanced degrees or certification. Students could definitely use this when doing research. The sharing idea may not be a good one for students as they share enough as it is. They might just share their entire research. That said, ICT students doing the group research would benefit from the ability to share their findings since it is a group effort. I explored the Picasa tool and had trouble either signing in or becoming a new user so I just went through the Picasa tour. Wow, if you put their pictures of Las Vegas in a slideshow, it makes me want to go to Vegas. We've never been there. I also like the map features. Since I am new to photo sharing, several of my friends have suggested Snapfish. Does anyone have an opinion which is better, Flickr, Picasa or Snapfish? I noticed that Flickr has a limit to the number of uploads or photos you can store.

I added Google Alerts for Texas Tech Football (news) and Teen Reads (Blogs) with notification of once a day. If this gets to be too much, I will edit the notification. Also, I think this is how Max Anderson tracks blogs that include the phrase "reluctant reader." He posted a comment on my #11 thing about becoming a writer of books for boys Ages 8+ who are reluctant readers because he grew up as this type of reader.

2 comments:

mmw said...

The add link button does not display in Safari for some reason. Blogger recommends using Firefox.

C Toogood said...

I can't get Firefox on any iMac laptop, or on the Macbook. The "add Link" works on on the Macbook but not the iMac which had worked previously. Mind boggling to me.