Monday, June 23, 2008

Thing 20 - You Tube

I jumped to #20, Youtube, because I heard that the movie trailer for Twilight by Stephenie Myer is being previewed. The movie will be out Dec. 12, 2008. This is the #1 book checked out from our library closely followed by her other books in the series, New Moon and Eclipse. The 4th book and final installment in the series will be published in August and the students cannot wait for it.

I am familiar with Youtube because my sons are easily entertained by it and often share with us funny and amazing videos. Last week I was looking for a spoof on Tiger Woods sinking his incredible putt to win the 2005 Masters. Many of these videos are still available, but the one I was looking for has been pulled. It can definitely be addicting. Check out the link to "Dan Dunn's Patriotic Painting" Dan Dunn has other paintings you should watch.

Students love these videos. They would have fun creating a video based on the research they complete and post it on this website. I believe it would thrill them to death to see their creation. Just think of all the skills they'd learn and use as they complete the assignment.

For comparison reasons I used Twilight on each of the video websites. Teachertube videos frequently stopped for "buffering" including short ones. However, most everything that I opened was created by students. I thought the students did a good job on this American History Idol video. Perhaps it is my laptop, but it became very annoying.

I tried to embed the video, but it didn't work.

P.S. Oprah featured You Tube on today's show (6-25-08). She had the guy that does "Evolution of dance" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMH0bHeiRNgwhich is the most watched video on You Tube. He was hilarious.

No comments: