Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thing 17 - Social Bookmarking - Del.icio.us

I HAD to jump to this one because my husband has a delicious account on our computer. When I tried to add several bookmarks for this class, it insisted that I login. Not knowing how to access his account, I was forced to learn about it. The CommonCraft video was very helpful. The recommended tutorial on delicious was not as helpful because I couldn't make it full screen.

I created a del.icio.us account and immediately started saving bookmarks. I LOVE this, but I'll let you know if it really works (yes, I'm a skeptic). I found the comments and especially liked this comment about Spell with Flickr "Just try to stop playing with this lmbrowning". The one thing I don't like about the comments is that the pink highlight makes the text difficult to see. I checked out the MISD 23 things, joined the network, and saved 12 bookmarks to MY del.icio.us account.

I definitely see this as a positive for collaborative research. On our Library web pages, I use the Class Projects page a lot, so this would be very helpful since it's easy to add bookmarks. I am hopeful that this wouldn't be blocked so that students could easily access it. Perhaps they would stumble across some other site that would appeal to their interests and they'd learn something other than what they were researching. Imagine, expanding your knowledge about so many different things because the bookmarks are available unless marked private.

I absolutely LOVE that my bookmarks will now be available from any computer. Now, I'm off to teach my husband about del.icio.us

P.S. I am able to access del.icio.us at school; unfortunately, it is blocked.

1 comment:

mmw said...

I love del.icio.us too. The tags are what make it useful to me. I can still find something I saved a long time ago, just by entering the tag I think I probably assigned it. Fantastic!